Critical Illness insurance is designed to protect your income and personal assets when your out-of-pocket expenses increase as a result of a qualifying serious illness. While your health insurance will cover a majority of your medical bills, it may not cover all of the unforeseen expenses associated with a serious medical condition such as a heart attack or cancer.
- Pays a lump sum benefit, once covered, upon initial diagnosis of a covered illness.
- Only conditions first diagnosed after the effective date are covered.
- Coverage options are available for your spouse and children as riders to your coverage.
- A $75 Health Screening Benefit Rider is included. This rider provides a benefit per insured per calendar year for covered health screening tests. Coverage is portable – you may maintain your policy if you retire or change jobs.
- This plan covers many out-of-pocket expenses not covered by other benefit plans such as: travel expenses, time off from work, lost income, deductibles and co-pays.
- You will have a choice between two plans:
Base covered conditions
Base covered conditions including cancer
Newly eligible employees may enroll in coverage with no evidence of insurability up to Guaranteed Issue limits of $15,000. For amounts above the Guaranteed Issue limits, evidence of insurability is required.
Available only during Open Enrollment:
A Unum enrollment counselor can help you select a benefit amount and calculate the cost. You may reach a Unum enrollment counselor at 1-866-441-6973 on weekdays between 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. EST.