The 2014 Diversity Roundtable will be held on June 11, 2014. The theme for the roundtable is "Inclusion Means Everyone is In: The Missing Conversation." The roundtable will include a morning storytelling salon and an afternoon session which will be held in the Student Center Theatre and Ballroom, respectively. To learn more, click on the sections below.
The morning storytelling salon will begin in the Student Center Theatre at 8:30 a.m. and will conclude at 11:00 a.m.
Our Stories: A Mirror Toward Ourselves
“Storytelling” takes center stage in this compelling discovery process in which you will be challenged to consider issues you may have never fully explored. Six storytellers reveal experiences from their lives, pieces of their hearts, and testimonies about their own self-discovery and truth. You will generate self- insight regarding your cultural assumptions, see diversity through fresh lenses, examine your levels of personal courage, and gain new insights to foster behaviors that build inclusive excellence.
Inclusion Means Everyone is In: The Missing Conversation
The 2014 Diversity Roundtable scratches the surface of a complex yet seldom discussed leadership challenge - the critical roles white men play in implementing diversity strategy and achieving inclusive excellence at Georgia Tech. This candid dialogue is designed to:
- Expand the Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) dialogue by specifically soliciting the critical perspectives of white men regarding D&I strategy – and highlighting the importance of this conversation.
- Focus on the importance of trust and authenticity in intercultural relations.
- Discuss “The Study on White Men Leading Through Diversity & Inclusion.”
- Raise awareness and understanding of white male culture, as well as the vast diversity among white men.
- Examine and carefully challenge assumptions, filters and "blind-spots" to increase awareness.
- Explore and highlight the benefits of increased "cultural dexterity" as a leadership skill.
- Move us from awareness to action and get us beyond Diversity 101.