Georgia Tech offers a discounted vision plan through EyeMed Vision.
Eligibility and Effective Date of Coverage
Regular, full-time/part-time faculty or staff who work at least 30 hours per week are eligible for vision coverage on the first day of the month following enrollment in the plan.
- Access to a nationwide network of private practice optometrists and ophthalmmologists
- Vision Exam at $10 copay every 12 months in-network
- Pair of lenses at $20 copay every 12 months in-network
- $150 allowance towards frames every 24 months in-network
- $150 allowance toward contact lenses every 12 months in-network, in lieu of eyeglasses
- $1,000 laser vision correction benefit in or out-of-network (additional 15% off retail in-network)
- EyeMed Vision Plan Highlights
- EyeMed Website
The cost for vision coverage is paid entirely by you on a pre-tax basis - 2013 Rates
Since January 1st, 2000, employees on an academic pay cycle have a new deduction schedule which prorates the summer insurance premiums over the last five paychecks of the academic year (January-May). This new deduction schedule was implemented to avoid having to make a triple deduction in the May paycheck to cover benefit premiums over the summer. The advance deductions for summer paychecks to cover benefit premiums is listed separately on the paycheck, and is equal to an additional 40% of the regular monthly deduction for medical, dental, dependent life and supplemental life.
Changes to Your Election
Due to restrictions imposed by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) code, after you make enrollment decisions during your initial eligibility or open enrollment, you cannot make changes during the remainder of the plan year (Jan. 1 to Dec. 31) unless a qualifying change in family status occurs. Please see the Family Status Change section for more information.
This information is provided for informational purposes only, and no warranty is provided for accuracy. The information summarizes the vision plan available. It is not intended to cover all the details of each plan.